“What dairy free options do you have?”
This is a frequently asked question from our friends and customers. If you are eating dairy free, you may have even asked this question yourself!
Many people already eating gluten free are now finding that they either don’t tolerate dairy well, feel better when reducing their dairy intake, are lactose intolerant, or test positive for a milk allergy. Whatever your reason for avoiding dairy, we are working to provide alternatives for the dairy ingredients in our baking mixes recipes, so that you can still enjoy delicious baked goods!
First of all, we want you to know that our Lemon Pound Cake Mix is in fact dairy free! The instructions on the back of the bag do ask you to add dairy products, but we can easily replace just 2 ingredients to make the final product completely dairy free!
To help out our dairy free friends, we’ve been in the kitchen, testing different dairy free products and have found a handful of excellent substitutes for our Lemon Pound Cake Mix. We hope you enjoy this cake!
Here’s the 2 products we’ve found provide the best test and texture and therefore whole-heartedly recommend: Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread and Silk Dairy Free Yogurt Alternative (Soy Vanilla).
And just to lay it out as easily as possible, here’s an updated dairy free (and gluten free of course!) Lemon Pound Cake:
Dairy Free Lemon Pound Cake Ingredients
- 1 bag Magnolia Mixes Lemon Pound Cake
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread
- 1/2 cup Silk Dairy Free Yogurt Alternative Made With Soy – Vanilla
- And no water! (We’ve omitted the water from this dairy free recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray and 8 x 4 bread loaf pan with baking spray.
- Place eggs and Silk Yogurt in a large mixing bowl.
- Fill a 1 cup container with 1/2 cup of cold water. Scoop Earth Balance Spread into the container until it contains 1 cup. Drain off water, and add the remaining butter spread to the eggs and yogurt. Beat on low speed one minute; add cake mix and continue mixing for an additional three minutes on low-medium speed.
- Pour into a greased 8×4 bread pan. Bake 50-55 minutes, or until done in the center. Let cool 20 minutes; remove from pan.
- If desired, you may add a glaze when the cake is cool; mix 1/2 cup confectionery sugar with 4 teaspoons lemon juice and drizzle onto top of cake.
And there you go! An absolutely delicious lemon pound cake that you’d never know is dairy AND gluten free! Want to see more variations and alterations for our gluten free mixes? Check out our blog post Taste-Approved Variations and Alternatives.